Tips from the trainer: Using LinkedIn for business
Published on March 19th, 2010 by Nick Shin
For this week’s SM 10X30 Q&A, I’ll answer questions about using LinkedIn for business. With all the attention Facebook has been getting for overtaking Yahoo!’s No. 2 position as most popular website in the US and Twitter’s announcement of 50 million tweets a day, LinkedIn is still one of the most relevant social media networking sites around.
As a reminder, all questions are welcome, whether you are new to social media or someone who is already very familiar. I love to help and chat about social media. Join other social media gurus, ninjas, experts professionals on the Social Media Corner group.
Q: I represent a business so how can I take advantage of LinkedIn?
- The first thing you need to do is to create a LinkedIn profile, which in essence means you are creating an online resume. This automatically exudes a more professional persona than Twitter or Facebook.
- Because you don’t want to hide your identity on LinkedIn, you should begin by adding connections. By doing so, you are increasing your network visibility as in 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree connectability. If they are out of your network, it becomes more difficult to get in contact with them, and other people.
- Join LinkedIn groups relevant to your industry and profession. Share interesting articles, but more importantly, DO NOT SPAM.
- Take advantage of LinkedIn Q&A and do a search for your keywords. Answer questions to show expertise and to show that you are more than a person wanting to sell; you are a person who is a reliable resource.
- Use the Q&A to ask questions (think of it as a free focus group).
Thanks to all the SM10X30 participants who submitted their questions. Your dedication and willingness to learn are much appreciated! Keep your questions and feedback coming! Send me an email at nshin [at] marketwire [dot] com.
If you are part of the SM10X30 program, comment or @ me on Twitter to be included in the #sm10×30 Twitter list. Here is a link to follow those who are as dedicated to social media as you are. Also, be sure to join the Facebook group dedicated to SM10×30 participants.